Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols » Crosman 38C/38T information... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Crosman 38C/38T information... 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Member "swl" here has a Crosman 38SWT pistol that needs some repair (dried out seals most likely)- but no one terribly local to him seems to do this sort of work.

So, for reference: He has the first version of the 38T (1963-1973) in .22 caliber with a steel rear sight and cylinder. The second and third versions of the 38T had plastic rear sights and cylinders- and the third version was only available in .177 caliber. Second version was produced from 1973-1976, third version from 1976-onward.

I don't know what the "SW" in his model designation stands for- anyone around here have an idea? The "T" was for 'target' and had a 6" barrel (there was also a 38C for "combat" with a 4" barrel).

Here are the parts diagrams:

The official Crosman version
http://www.crosman.com/2004/pdf/manuals/crosman/38T/C38T22-EVP1.pdf

And the far easier to view Chambers re-make:

Chambers only lists the parts it can still locate and sell- but using those part numbers some of them may still be available from Crosman despite the fact they state they do not sell parts for them any more:

If anyone has a complete parts listing- not the cut-down to available parts listing from Chambers- please post it/a link to it!

Last edited by AirGunEric on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Now- looking over the parts in the 38's, it appears the only parts that should/could go bad on their own due to age would be springs and seals/o-rings, which, fortunately, more generic replacements can be found.

What is the specific problem with your 38SWT, swl? Is it leaking, just won't shoot, can't pull the trigger, something else altogether?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
The only thing I can find is on Ebay

Crosman 38C and 38T Factory Service Manual

I don't know if this any good but it is probably what you want.

AL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
swl
My mistake the reason I put SW in the model # was because it is a copy of a Smith And Wesson.The gun will not hold CO2 for more than 15 mins.
Any ideas.
swl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I kind of thought the "SW" was put in there for that- but didn't believe Crosman ever named it as such.

Anyways- if it won't hold pressure for any length of time just sitting- it is likely going be one or more of the seals in the valve setup- in the Chambers diagram- that would be the box in the lower right-hand corner of the diagram called "Complete unit 38A073" which looks like it has possibly as many as 8 seals/gaskets in it. (this unit is the valve and where the Co² caplet is installed). The idea is to start at the "bottom" and work up- #38-126 is the seal around the piercing pin (the pin that punctures the end of the caplet), then #38-051 which is obviously an o-ring- but seeing as how it appears to be held in by that pipe fitting setup- I would suggest it is unlikely to leak, ever. Next would be #38-095 and or #38-130 and then #38-094 and #140-058. Beyond the #38-126 being the first likely problem, I would be that #140-058 is going to be a close second for this problem as it is the actual seal for the valve itself. Last choice would be the valve spring (which keeps the valve closed when the gun is not being fired) #38B078 which may have rusted and broken.

Dollars to donuts it's one or both of the #38-126 and #140-058 as those are places where the seal is moved/shifted whenever a Co² caplet is put in or when the gun is fired. And then the spring #38B078. The other seals and parts based on the gun layout do not appear to be very likely to cause such a leak.

So- if you're willing to open the gun up- I bet you can probably find o-rings and a spring of the correct sizes at a local hardware store. If you don't want to risk it- there's a couple of possibilities. 1) send the gun to someone in the GTA who is willing to look at it (I have no idea at what price), or barring that, 2) send the gun to me. I would use it as a "teardown and repair" project to post here- but as most of the parts are not available- if something literally fell apart when disassembled- I likely could not get a replacement and that would be the end of it. I wouldn't charge you for this, and I would return it to you once completed (or not if something critical is broken and irreplaceable) if you paid the shipping charges.

Personally, I'd say try to do it yourself- it'll save you a few bucks in shipping, and possibly labor. The gun itself has no real market value as a collectible at this point- one in absolutely Mint condition prices out at $90 USD in the "Blue Book of Airguns". If you manage to fix it- you'll feel like you accomplished something, if not- see option #2 above.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

38C & 38T 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote
Just4Him
I can send copies of the Factory Service Manual as individual JPEGS but if it can wait til tonight my time I'll convert them to a PDF file and forward them to AirGunEric to have them posted on the site.

Ron Sauls in North Carolina carries a large stock of parts for older Crosman, Benjamin and Sheridan products and he may be able to help with any older rifles or pistols.

If you want it in a JPEG format let me know and I'll send it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
swl
I would appreciate a cpy of the jpegs.Do you have an address for Ron Sauls.
Regards
swl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
swl wrote:
I would appreciate a cpy of the jpegs.Do you have an address for Ron Sauls.
Regards
swl

Ron Sauls is http://www.bryanandac.com/
Jim Giles is http://www.crookedbarn.com/default.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Here is the complete part number reference that Steven sent. Ignore the prices- who knows how old they are:

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi AirGunEric!

Who is "Steven"? He's not in our memberlist!

Just wondering though, You couldn't have meant me again!

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Just4Him
The Steven that sent the 38T & 38C information uses the Login ID of
Just4Him

My name is Steven Smith from the United States. I have Factory Service Manuals for quite a few Crosman rifles and pistols. I've been trying to edit and clean up the files to be able to post good clean copies of the files that I have.

I've also been trying to get help getting good scanned copies of older Owners Manuals for Crosman, Benjamin and Sheridan rifles and pistols.

I will gladly send what I have to anyone who needs them and if possible I'd appreciate copies of Owner's Manuals.

I have a copy of the Crosman Factory Service Manual which includes rifles and pistols made from the 20s to the 60's as well as about 30 individual Factory Service Manuals in PDF format.

I'm trying to find good copies of the following Owner's manuals.

Crosman 150 all variations
Crosman 600 Oldest variation as well as the Sears brands
Crosman 160 except for the 3rd variant
Crosman 400 all variations
Crosman 109/110 and 120

any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have a large selection of owners manuals in PDF format.

I'm also looking for Factory Service Manuals for Benjamin and Sheridan rifles and pistols. They are rare but they do exist.

My e-mail address is Stevennelda@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hello Steven- I'd help with the manuals if I had any- but unforunately do not. If I see anything out there, I'll let you know.

There is one guy who might have some .pdf stuff he might be able to share with you- he is registered here but doesn't seem to come around much- send him a Private Message and perhaps he will respond- his username is "lauchlin".

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

38T & 38C Factory Service Manuals 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Just4Him
Did you receive the rest of the manuals that I sent? And also I have another manual with information on the 38 series. Do you want copies of this also?

Steven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steven: Yes, I received the files you sent- but have not had a chance to look them over completely and compile them into a .pdf or something similar.

I'm assuming swl has enough info to start on his gun if he's going to repair it himself- but I will get to posting the rest, hopefully soon.

The other stuff you mention- is it some sort of combined manual from Crosman or something?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Crosman Service Manuals 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
Just4Him
Yes, I have a combined Service Manual with 23 sections. Some sections cover 2 or more rifles or pistols. That is a PDF file and is about 20 MB.

I also have individual Factory Service Manuals for about 30 or 40 different rifles and pistols some of which are included in the combined manual.

I'm editing them all to clean them up and replacing the small print with a larger font to make them easier to read.
Crosman 38C/38T information... 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols