Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns » Hakim Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Cracko
OK, never mind...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Roy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanx AirGunEric. The bearings are not a good idea.
Note my new username :

ROY

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
I had a friend at work translate the markings on the Hakim. Nothing exotic, but nice to know. What he told me is corroborated by a Pyramid blog response.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Has anyone ever refinished an entire gun (not simply touchup)? For example:

1. Has anyone had a gun hot blued? There is a shop about 15 miles from me that does it - what kind of preparation is necessary to protect the internal polish?

2. Has anyone tried Lauer's Duracoat? Does it measure up to the advertising? How would engine enamel or BBQ grill paint compare? Maybe epoxy?

The original finish has a matte black appearance. I have access to a sandblasting cabinet.

Ideas?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I have never hot blued anything- so I can't address that.

If you want to paint the gun/parts of the gun- forget BBQ paint- it is almost always a very dull matte, almost chalky finish. Engine enamel is typically glossier. Although- you really don't need a high heat paint in most airgun applications, so you could really be looking at any paint you think has the right color and finish.

As for sandblasting- that can be risky- depending on the type of iron/steel used you could end up with a very porous surface once it's blasted. If that's not an issue, you're set. Otherwise, perhaps electrolytic rust removal would work better. Here's an example of it: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Thanks! This gives me another option to consider.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
lauchlin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
refinishing that gun will ruin the value........... most i have seen are in far rougher shape than that one ........................

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
refinishing that gun will ruin the value........... most i have seen are in far rougher shape than that one ........................

I am mindful of that point. On the other hand, the term "value" is relative. I have little investment in the gun (except time), so resale value is not that important to me. I have it as an interesting historical piece that I can shoot. Remember too that I got the stock in three pieces, along with a bag of parts - some missing, some duplicated, and some that were not even Hakim parts.

Besides, every gun on this forum will someday be a collector gun, and very few are original even now.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Well, we have a 300 years old wine-pitcher, and it's not worth anything. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
Well, we have a 300 years old wine-pitcher, and it's not worth anything.

I would imagine that at age 300 his fast ball has slowed a bit. By the way - Slavias ruled at the range on Sunday. 12 gauge shotgun shells at 25 yards in a 15 m.p.h. crosswind, and the guys with the powder burners couldn't connect like I could with the Slavia.

Quote:
forget BBQ paint- it is almost always a very dull matte

I just did the zinc and aluminum on a Crosman 2240 with BBQ paint. I know what you mean about the "chalky" texture, but mine turned out fine. Perhaps because I baked it in a toaster oven, or perhaps because I hit it with Armor-All afterwards. The texture is between a "satin" finish and a truly matte "flat" finish, which is what I wanted. The next time the neighbors paint their grill, go over there with a piece of scrap and try it.

The electrolytic rust removal method intrigues me. It seems like it may be a good surface preparation for almost any final treatment, and as you say, less destructive than sandblasting. I wouldn't want to change all that beautiful Arabic writing from "Anschutz 1955" to "Abdul's socks don't match."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Slavia wrote:
Quote:
Well, we have a 300 years old wine-pitcher, and it's not worth anything.

I would imagine that at age 300 his fast ball has slowed a bit. By the way - Slavias ruled at the range on Sunday. 12 gauge shotgun shells at 25 yards in a 15 m.p.h. crosswind, and the guys with the powder burners couldn't connect like I could with the Slavia.

I got myself a new scope on my Slavia, a 4 - 9 x 40 N2Optics scope with illuminated reticle and AO. It almost does a hole in hole at 30 meters. Mr. Green (That's when I've got the gun rested by the way, but in other words, I can't miss a walnut at 20 meters in free stance).

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
broommaster2000 wrote:
I got myself a new scope on my Slavia, a 4 - 9 x 40 N2Optics scope with illuminated reticle and AO. It almost does a hole in hole at 30 meters. Mr. Green (That's when I've got the gun rested by the way, but in other words, I can't miss a walnut at 20 meters in free stance).
Then why aren't you shooying the weekly postal targets? Huh?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Normally Birchwood-Casey blueing is all that's available locally, but I found some G-96 at a local bait shop and decided to try it. It is blacker and quicker than the Birchwood-Casey, but seems to rub off more. I did the butt plate with it, and sealed it with two coats of tung oil. That seemed to stabilize it, and makes it look like it has just been oiled.

I got the handguard refinished.

A brass tire valve stem cap was exactly the right size to replace a missing screw cup.

The new seal (and some moly) came this week. No problems getting it to fit.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
23ib0d0n wrote:
broommaster2000 wrote:
Then why aren't you shooying the weekly postal targets? Huh?

Because I don't have space to shoot now, and our printer is broke, and I will try next week. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Roy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ready, aim, fire !

I can't wait to see the finished product, and read the performance report on this Hakim.
Roy
Hakim 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns